Water in apartments comes at a cost and consumes a large share in its maintenance. When we use less water; The need to recycle and and then pump it to houses reduces. Thus saving us money.
- Fix the Leaks: Fixing leaky faucets can mean big water savings for buildings. Do you know water leak of one drop per second wastes more than 10,000 liters of water a year? Residents of apartment should be rewarded for reporting leak.
- Adopt Rainwater Harvesting: Do not let rainwater run to city drain lines. Let the soil absorb them and recharge your Bore well systems. It is now made mandate to install rainwater harvesting systems in apartments of many states of India. An efficient RWH system reduces total water cost by up to 30% annually.
- Understand Your Water Usage: Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement. If you can’t measure something, you can’t understand it. If you can’t understand it, you can’t control it. If you can’t control it, you can’t improve it.” Install water meter to know who is using how much water.
- Retrofit Existing Wash-Basin & Sinks Taps: Save upto 80% water by installing water saving adaptors on tap. These aerators are easy to install and give very quick payback. These devices pay for themselves and reduce your water cost. Visit www.watersaving.in to learn more about water savers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwTpwMnvw-0
- Use Water Efficient Flushing System: Around 27% of a building’s fresh water is used to flush toilets. A old flushing system consumes more than 12 litters water in each flush, whereas Water Efficient flushing system uses only 4-6 liters water on a full flush. Few flushing systems can also be retrofitted to reduce flushing. Installing tank bank inside flush tank results in saving water.
- Install Water Saving Showers: A regular shower dispenses around 15 to 20 litres of water per minute. Eco365days shower uses up to 60% less water, but gives same efficiency. When you use less water, you recycle it less and thus save money. Existing showers can also be converted into water efficient showers by installing water restrictors. Visit www.watersaving.in to learn more about water savers. Buy water efficient showers Online.
- Share water statistics & make collective efforts: On a periodic basis share total water usage statistics with residents and set collective targets to reduce the same. It should not be a individual goal; Teamwork helps in achieving the targets. These statistics can be shared on apartment notice boards, regular emails and during association meetings.
- Installing Individual Water Meters: Most apartments either charges a flat fee or a fee based upon consumption for water usage. This results in some residents paying more for what others’ use. Conflict amongst residents over water usage/bill is very common.
- Recycle Wastewater: With advancement in technology now many cost effective solutions are available to recycle wastewater. Grey water recycling is one good option to adopt. STP’s in large apartments are now a mandate. Recycled water from these STP’s can be used for toilet flushing, gardening and driveways & sidewalks washing. Thereby reducing the need to use fresh water.
- Appeal Residents to Minimize water usage: Content related to ‘Ways to save water at kitchen, laundry and bathroom needs to be shared regularly with residents; change in perception towards water usage will result in long-term benefits to a apartment. It’s a ongoing process shouldn’t be ignored.
- Water Plants during the Early Times of the Day; Early morning is generally better than dusk since it helps prevent the growth of fungus. Early watering, and late watering, also reduces water loss to evaporation.
- Use brooms more, not a hose, to clean driveways and sidewalks of your apartment. Around 30% of fresh water in apartment is used to maintain lawns, driveways and sidewalks.
- Reduce evaporation of water from Swimming pool: If your apartment has outdoors swimming pool than evaporation rate will be very high. Make an attempt to cover the swimming pool when not in use, say afternoon, when evaporation is high.
- Don’t run the hose while washing your car: Clean the car using a pail of soapy water. Use the hose only for rinsing. You will consume 80% less water. Educate fellow residents to practice water efficient ways to wash car.
- Plant drought-resistant shrubs and plants: Many beautiful shrubs and plants thrive with far less watering than other species. Replace herbaceous perennial borders with native plants. Around 30% of fresh water in apartment is used to maintain gardens. Adopt self watering pots at residence.
- Conduct periodic knowledge sessions on Water facts, scarcity and conservation. Continuous learning is required to bring awareness on water conservation.
Attempt to conserve water has to be continuous effort, all suggested methods needs to be practiced regularly and process needs to be set to measure the savings on regular basis. It’s not a one-time initiative. If you have more ideas to save water do share it, by commenting below.
Write to email@example.com or call: 9686194711 for water savers.